Press conference of BSSF regarding the initiation of the criminal cases against Aliaksandra Herasimenia and Alexander Opeikin by the Investigative Committee of Belarus
The Belarusian Sport Solidarity Foundation (BSSF), which protects the rights of Belarusian athletes, invites you to a press conference with the participation of the Chairperson of the Foundation, three-time Olympic medallist Aliaksandra Herasimenia; Executive Director of the Foundation Alexander Opeikin, Head of the Foundation's International Department Anatoly Kotov; and Vadim Krivosheev, in charge for youth policy and sports in the National Anti-Crisis Management. The press conference will take place on Wednesday, April 7th at 12:00 CET (1 PM Minsk time).
The event will focus on the following issues:
1. The absurdity of the criminal case initiated by the Investigative Committee of Belarus against Aliaksandra Herasimenia and Alexander Opeikin under the article "Calls to commit other actions aimed at causing harm to the national security of the Republic of Belarus, committed using the media or the global computer network Internet";
2. Refusal of the President of the European Cycling Union (L'Union Européenne de Cyclisme, UEC) Enrico Della Casa to transfer the European Track Cycling Championship in 2021 from Belarus;
3. Preliminary results and further plans of the campaign #MARATHONFORFREEDOM which includes the Foundation's appeal to Belarusians to pursue a healthy lifestyle, go in for sports and give up bad habits such as smoking and alcohol.
4. Appeal of the National Anti-Crisis Management to British American Tobacco, Imperial Tobacco, Japan Tobacco International, Philip Morris with a demand to revoke licenses for the production of cigarettes from Belarusian enterprises that have been repeatedly noticed in smuggling transactions.
Working languages: Belarusian, Russian with simultaneous interpretation into English.
The Belarusian Sport Solidarity Foundation, founded in August 2020 by three-time Olympic medallist Aliaksandra Herasimenia (Alexandra Gerasimenia), provides financial, psychological, organizational, and other assistance to the Belarusian athletes who have suffered from the regime's actions, it also interacts with the international organizations and various sports federations to protect the athletes' rights. Since the beginning of its operation, the Foundation has:
1) Sent over €130,000 to provide financial assistance to the repressed athletes, managers and sports functionaries;
2) Provided targeted assistance to 115 individuals who applied;
3) Organized an international solidarity event Marathon for Freedom in support of Belarusians, which was attended by more than 1.5 thousand people from 45 countries of the world;
4) Achieved the transfer of the 2021 Ice Hockey World Championship, World Modern Pentathlon Championship, the UEFA Futsal Champions League Final from Belarus as well asl the cancellation of the UEFA Women's European Under-19 Championship;
5) Based on the statements of the BSSF, the evidence provided, and other materials, the IOC initiated sanctions against the NOC of Belarus and Aliaksandr Lukashenka personally, and the International Ice Hockey Federation launched an investigation against the President of the Ice Hockey Federation of Belarus Dzmitry Baskau (Dmitry Baskov).
At the moment, the Foundation assists with more than 100 cases of the violation of Belarusian athletes and sports workers’ rights who were beaten, arrested, fired, and subjected to psychological pressure from the sports leadership for expressing their civic stance.
Eugene Medvedev, official representative
Telegram: @ medvedev1989
Tel .: +380 50 135 11 70